I want a very high quality Chess board set. I’m prepared to pay between hundreds of dollars, to thousands of dollars, depending on the quality and material used. Right now, I’m putting this ad up casually, but when I return to France, I’ll aggressively search for a talented sculptor.
I want a chess set that resembles the one in Code Geass.
My requirements are:
- Resemble the animated series as utterly accurately as possible, no expense spared. I will help with this. I highly suggest you watch the series before starting work.
- The black pieces must be a deep, solid black; some imperfections are tolerable if they indicate a high quality material — light tree rings from ebony or blemishes in marble are fine.
- The white pieces must be absolutely white and somewhat bright. No tint nor tan. I’m not picky about the material, as long as it’s a high-quality wood or better (marble, ivory, bone, etc)
- The most culturally significant piece is the black king.
- I value precision and quality, I’m looking for a man with lots of pride who hates making sacrifices. Tiny details, like ratios between the battlement of the rooks must be so precise that they appear perfectly equal to the naked eye.
- What I want most is just the pieces, all the quality, attention and rigor goes to the pieces foremost. The board, box, and clock are optional; but if you’d like to make them, I just ask that they are high-quality and resemble the series.
- I prefer an analog chess clock with a “wind up” crank. No batteries, no motors. We can make this happen by harvesting a high-quality retail clock and sculpting a case for it.
- The rest is your imagination! Have fun with it. I want you to make something that you feel very proud of.
I’m prepared to pay a lot for this. Talk to me. If you use very high quality materials, I’ll pay thousands. If you can use mammoth tusks, I’ll pay over ten thousand.
So here’s what it looks like:
How Much I’ll Pay
For comparison, normal hand-crafted wooden chess sets cost around $300-$400.
Hobbyist sculptors on etsy and ebay charge similar prices.
Luxury hand crafted wooden chess sets cost between $700-$1400.
And elite, “edge of human reach” quality is up to $13k.
So with that in mind, know that I’ll offer the appropriate price for your work. You can look at the links I made above and review the quality of these boards and their price tags. If you are satisfied with the quality/price ratio, then I think we can easily come to an agreement.